'An uptight getaway driver waiting outside a bank robbery has three nerve shredding minutes to get through before his crew returns. All he has to do is focus.'
While the Fly was disliked by many of my classmates, I found that the short succeeded in its own right. While it may not have been as complex as our other set films, the piece provided an abundance of respectable slapstick humour, which I believe was the intent.
This film does not try to be subtle, this is best shown by the flashing title card we are shown near the start. While I find this element to be annoying and I would not use it myself, I can see why it was included as it succeeds in showing the film's bold and simple premise and ideas.
While the cinematography and editing are both well used, I found that diegetic sound was applied the most successfully. At the start of the short, when there is little action, the background noise is amplified and used to create tensnion. As the fly arrives, it is heralded by a buzzing noise, the first distinct sound in a while, which signifies its importance. As the situation escalates more and more the use of these distinct sounds increases, as the man begins to mutter to himself, breaks his car's horn, and eventually fires his gun at the fly, leading to his car being destroyed and his cover blown.
There is one particularly interesting shots used in the film as well. A pseudo-POV mirror shot from the driver's perspective as the toothpick pierces his lip. This shot creates a connection between the driver and the audience, leading to a feeling of sympathy for the man.
Comments